We all have a favorite type of comfort food that we turn to when we need a little emotional ‘boost’. For some, it’s ice cream whilst for others it’s chocolate or other sweet delights. Since I’m more of a savory lover myself, my comfort foods usually revolve around cheese or pastry. I know – a French girl who loves her cheese and carbs – shocking right!? ;)
Now, I don’t usually like to dwell too much on sad feelings (there are too many good things in life to celebrate IMO) but I have to admit this past week was a bit of a low point. Not only because of the US elections (though that was definitely a shocking outcome!) but because of a multitude of bad news that cropped up one after another and made for one big crappy week.
So when Friday rolled around, I was pretty relieved and most importantly – ready to stuff my face with something rich and uber comforting. I turned to my fridge and knew I’d hit the jackpot when I found smoked salmon and cream cheese sitting on the shelves. Since I always keep puff pastry in the freezer (see this post) I immediately knew I had everything to make mini-smoked salmon croissants! YES.
Half an hour later, I was watching re-runs of Sex and the City with a glass of rose in one hand and a pile of mini croissants in the other. Now if that’s not a cure for a mild case of the blues then I don’t know what is ;)
Onwards and upwards xx
Mini Smoked Salmon Croissants Appetizers
2 rolls of ready-made frozen puff pastry, thawed but still cold
120g smoked salmon
100g spreadable cream cheese
1 tbs fresh chives, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg, beaten
2-3 tbs poppy seeds
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 C.
2. Cut the puff pastry into 6 even triangles. Spread a tablespoon of cream cheese at the base of each triangle. Top with a piece of smoked salmon then sprinkle with chives, salt, and pepper.
3. Roll up each triangle and then fold the ends to create a crescent shape.
4. Brush each croissant with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 mins or until puffed and lightly golden.