My favorite part of any holiday party (besides hanging out with the people I love of course ;) is the appetizers. Sure I love a good turkey, Christmas ham and pavlova but to be honest I’d be just as happy wolfing down yummy appetizers all night long. Which is why cocktail parties are my favorite kinds of parties. I mean cocktails + appetizers? What more could you want?!
I know that finding easy and delicious appetizer recipes can sometimes be a challenge so with that in mind I thought’ I’d share a few of my go to recipes over the next two weeks. I’m starting with these delicious spiced lamb meatballs served with tomato sauce, feta and fresh mint which are sure to be a hit at your party. You can also make them in advance which always a bonus in my books.
If you don’t eat meat, don’t worry – I’ll be featuring vegetarian and allergy friendly options very soon.
Happy hosting x
For the meatballs
500g lamb mince
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
½ medium onion, finely chopped
400g canned crushed tomato
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
60g feta and 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint, to garnish (optional)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200°C.
2. To make the meatballs: in a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well with your (clean ;) hands. Form into small balls using 2 tablespoons of mixture at a time, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Bake for about 15min, or until the lamb is cooked through.
4. While the lamb is cooking, make the sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan placed over medium heat. Fry the onion until translucent and then add in the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer for 8-10min.
5. Transfer the cooked meatballs to the sauce and coat well.
6. Serve warm topped with crumbed feta and fresh mint (optional).
NB. this dish can me made the night before your party and kept in the fridge until ready to use. Just re-heat thoroughly a few minutes before serving! You could also cook and freeze the meatballs ahead of time, they will keep up to a month in an air tight container.